Pages

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Fromage Blanc made at home

I've recently discovered cheese making and have been having a ball with it. I never realized you could make fresh cheese in a day. I had always wanted to try and make my own cheese, but thought it must take a lot of time and work. Then there is the aging, waxing, etc. Well I was wrong. You can make your own fresh Fromage Blanc in a day right at home and eat it the very next day. It's delicious!

First you heat up 32 oz of whole milk to 165F degrees. Here is a photo of the beginning stages of cheese.



Turn off the heat at 165F and add 1 cup of buttermilk and 2 tsp. of lemon juice. Wait 10 minutes and you should see curds forming like this photo.



You then pour the curds and whey into a strainer lined with cheesecloth.



Let strain completely. Little by little you will see the cheese solidifying.





When it looks like this you can cover it up and put it in the refrigerator overnight.



In the morning take it out of the refrigerator and mix 1/2 tsp of salt into it. Then scoop it in to ramekins. Smooth it out with a spatula and cover with plastic.



You can eat it right then, but I usually like to wait until the evening so that the flavor has a little more time to develop.

I've really had fun with this over the past week. I thought some of my readers might be interested in trying this themselves so wanted to pass this along to you all. I've almost enjoyed it as much as my soapmaking, but the fun part is you get to eat this!! Let me know if any of you try it. Would love to hear about it if so.

9 comments:

LynnAnne said...

Great Post! Now I want to play and make cheese!

DeShawn Marie said...

Thanks!! Happy you like it. I've had so much fun with it over the past week. Give it a shot you'll be surprised how fun and easy it is :)

Unknown said...

This is great. Last week I made butter and I'm also currently making vanilla extract (takes a couple of months).

DeShawn Marie said...

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the post. I love home made butter as well, I've done that, but never vanilla extract. Another great thing is home made mayonaise...yummy. Let me know if you try the cheese? It is fun.

Miss Val's Creations said...

This sounds like easy and fun!

Unknown said...

I just made mayonnaise the other day and it was great! A lot of whisking, but it was fantastic. I gave it a little "kick" by adding grainy mustard to it. You should try it.

UniquelyEwe said...

Oh, DeShawn, this sounds wonderful! I'll surely try it soon! I know it's as great as your soap is! About time for me to re-order some more Lilac Rose! :-> Ahhhhh...

Unknown said...

This is brilliant DeShawn! I love it and I am definately going to try it! How have you been I feel like I have lost touch with you. Are you still soapin like crazy? I am sitting here looking at my folowers list and thinking about how am I ever going to keep up with visiting all my followers ever now and then and I was you on my list. You were my first follower and I will never forget that. I was so excited! I would love to send you a little something in appreciation. If you could email me your address I would love it! If you don't have it stll it's on my blog! Thanks doll and have a wonderful week!

Roberta

The Redhead Riter said...

That looks too fun. We will try it and try to remember to come back and let you know how it goes!