Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

Amo Italia! (translation “I love Italy”)

For some reason ever since I was a little girl I have been in love with Italy.  I had always wanted to go even though I don’t have a drop of Italian blood in me.  I use to plan imaginary trips and dream of going there some day.  Well eventually I grew up and turned those dreams into reality. 

A lot of my soaps are inspired by Italian food, landscapes and even architecture.  For instance take a look at my Cedarwood Lavender Handmade Soap pictured below.

small cedarwood

and now take a look at this photo I took in Venice, IT

small venice photo

When I took that photo in Venice I never thought it would inspire a soap, but when I arrived home and looked through my photos this photo grabbed me every time and became one of my favorites.  Over time I wanted a soap that had the same complexity as this picture with the aged walls and the natural texture that jumps out at you.  I wanted the soap to have the warmth of the soft natural light in this photo and voila!  That is when I made my Cedarwood Lavender Soap.

Another one of my Italian inspired soaps is the Limoncello Soap which is created after the famous Italian liqueur Limoncello.  I had never heard of  it until one day I was sitting in a beautiful cafe in Positano, IT and they served me a complimentary Limoncello as an after dinner drink.  At first it was kind of tart, but then it grew on me and I fell in love with it.

Here is a photo of my Limoncello Soap

new extra soap photos 015

and here is a photo of the famous Limoncello Liqueur

limoncello

I love all things Italian and I’m sure you’ll see more of my Italian inspired soaps and themes in the future, but thought I would take the time today to show you a few of my favorite Italian inspired soaps I make.

Ci vediamo presto!! (see you soon)

3 comments:

Me said...

Limoncello is one of my fav soaps of yours, it smells so fresh and clean. Nice to read the story behind it!

Mary Humphrey said...

Amazing creativity...and I can see where you get it...from the things that you love!

DeShawn Marie said...

awwwwe thanks to both Mary and Lucie! I appreciate the comments and support.